Location: London, United Kingdom
Summary of role:
The role is a hands-on DBA role, with a primary focus on managing and supporting the MS SQL, MySQL and Maria-DB databases across the Autovista Group. Database administration includes capacity planning, installation, configuration, database design, migration, performance monitoring and tuning, security, troubleshooting, as well as how the data is stored, ensuring data backup and data recovery routines are effective. The role requires someone who is enthusiastic, has expert knowledge in MS SQL and My SQL/Maria DB, Cloud and ideally other database technologies such as Oracle and Informix.
- MS SQL & MySQL database Installation, configuration, upgrade, and migration (must have knowledge of the hardware prerequisites for an efficient database server and be able to communicate those requirements to the Systems Administrator/Infrastructure team)
- To develop, implement and periodically test backup and DR recovery plans
- To ensure all databases are designed and aligned to an approved security model, covering; authentication (setting up user accounts to control logins), authorisation (setting permissions on various parts of the database) and auditing (tracking who did what with the database).
- Ensuring appropriate monitoring, management and optimisation of the current database instances - proactive tuning is an attitude of designing performance into an application from the start, rather than waiting for problems to occur and fixing them and so requires working closely with the Applications Developers to ensure best practices are followed
- Provide effective troubleshooting for issues affecting the databases without losing data or making the situation worse
- Autovista operates 24x7, so understanding and adopting high availability technologies such as online backups, clustering, replication, and standby databases is essential
- Ensuring the appropriate backups are taking place – including point in time recovery
- Capacity planning of the databases – this requires an understanding of growth trends so that the DBA can advise management on long-term capacity plans
- ODBC support
Experience, skills and abilities:
A can-do attitude is required to be able to look at the current environment and plan how to move it forward, bringing in appropriate technologies as required – clustering etc. to ensure the supportability and manageability of the environment, ensuring that projects are delivered on-time. Builds personal and group credibility with the Customer / Business Partner by taking initiative and providing excellent service, resolving incidents within the appropriate timescales. Builds trust and effective working relationships by solving ongoing concerns.
Experience of migrating, consolidating and upgrading database technologies, while also delivering a cloud hosted database footprint.
- 3 years + MySQL & MS SQL experience.
- MySQL V5 and above, MS-SQL V2003 and above
- AWS Databases
- Scripting skills
- Familiarity with virtualisation and Cloud technologies –Vmware, Amazon AWS, Azure
- Knowledge of Linux and Windows essential
- A good understanding of Data Extraction, Transformation, and Loading (ETL) processes
- A general technology background and a passion for IT and automation
- Demonstrable previous experience in complex operational environments
- At least 5 years’ experience in an operational environment.
- A good practical approach to IT; using IT to solve IT and operational issues
- Excellent communicator – verbal and written, including designs, proposals, process & procedural documentation etc.
- Must be flexible and willing to work in both structured and unstructured environments at times
- A positive attitude to self-development; someone who maintains an up to date knowledge of their specific field of expertise and IT in general
- Works equally well on their own and as part of a team
Nice to Have
- Knowledge/understanding of SAN storage technologies
- Knowledge of a DevOps way of working
- Any foreign language skills - Spanish, German would be advantageous but not essential
- ITIL Knowledge – ideally at least to ITIL Foundation level
- ISO 27001 knowledge
- Oracle V9 and above
To apply, please send you CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for your interest in working with us. Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are regrettably unable to reply to all candidates individually. We will contact you if your application has successfully progressed to the next stage of the recruitment process.